Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Twilight Saga: Book vs. Movie

I took the kids to the library on the 30th. As I went to look for a book that has quilting projects in it, I walked past the young adult fiction section. I saw Twilight on the shelf. I have heard all the hype about the books and movies, so I thought I'd give it a chance. I haven't read a series of books since Harry Potter.

Once I got started I couldn't quit. You have to understand that I am a reader. I LOVE to read. I worked at a library when I was in high school & it was like I was in heaven. Anyway back to Twilight.. I finished the book this past Saturday, so I just had to go back to the library on Sunday as soon as they opened to see if New Moon was available.

I ended up with New Moon and also Twilight on DVD. I often watch the movie after reading a book. I try not to do it in reverse. In my opinion it's better to get all the details from the book then watch the movie. I was very disappointed this time around, which shouldn't surprise me. That is how I often feel about movie adaptations. So I moved on to reading New Moon.

I took the book to the bowling alley with me. I was subbing for one of Brian's teammates on their Sunday night mixed league. I read between frames and finished about a third of it. I stayed up until about 2 am to finish all but about 100 pages. At work on Monday I went to our library's website & searched for Eclipse, book 3 in the series. I found it at the library that is closest to my work, as well as New Moon on DVD. I spent my lunch hour running to get these 2 items as well as reading part of New Moon. After I finished the book later shortly after the kids went to bed, so I sat & watched the DVD. I have to admit that the 2nd movie was better than the first.

I understand that not every detail can be used in the time that is allotted, but this was a better adaptation of the book than the first. It flowed so much better.

I reading Eclipse now and I am currently on page 332 of 629. I can't wait for my lunch break to start, so I can get back to the story. I guess I'll have to wait until December to see how the movie compares to this book.

What is your favorite & least favorite book/movie adaptation? Would you rather read the book or watch the movie?

No comments: