Monday, May 28, 2007

Thank You to All Who Have Served

I wanted to make sure that I posted this THANK YOU to all the men and women who have served in our country's military. Many people see Memorial Day as nothing more than a day off of work and/or school.

My father and grandfather both served in the military during war times. My grandfather was in the Navy during WWII. The ship that he was on sunk. He was one of the lucky ones who survived. My father was drafted during the Vietnam War and served in the Army. Near the end of his tour of duty he was shot by enemy fire. He did not suffer life threatening injuries, but sustained injuries that were severe enough to end his military career.

When my grandfather, who voluntarily joined the service, return from war he was seen as a hero. My father on the other hand was a draftee and was called a baby killer and worse, treated as a murdered, not accepted into veteran organization, and treated badly by much of the general population just because he did his duty and served his country when he was called upon to do so.

We may not agree with the politics behind the war, but we need to treat our military men and women with all due respect. They are doing their job. If it were not for the military we would not be living in the world that we do. Who knows how bad our lives would be. We have more freedoms than most countries and take it for granted.


Alright, I will get off of my soapbox.

Again, THANK YOU to all the men and women who have served and are serving now. We also need to remember those who have given their lives as well as the family members left behind.

No comments: