Monday, June 11, 2007

Some Good, Some Bad

My best friend's mom saw her oncologist last week. She will begin having chemotherapy & radiation treatments soon. The doctor also believes that she could have 5 years maybe more if the treatments are successful. One a less positive note, as a result of the tumor and/or surgery to remove it she has experienced some loss of cognitive ability. The doctor has assured her that with some work she will be able to relearn the things that she has lost.

The problem is that she is currently very depressed and in the "Poor Me" mode. You have to understand that this women is a VERY stubborn and strong willed person. Once she decides that she going to do something she does not give up until the task is completed. I just wish I knew of a way to get her motivated. I told my friend about my FIL who had a non-cancerous brain tumor over 20 years ago. He is now legally deaf, one side of his face is paralysed and he is almost blind in the eye on that side. He has over come these obstacles and continues to lead a very productive life.

No comments: