Sunday, August 12, 2007

I'm Melting

I don't know about you, but I am positively melting!!! It is so damn hot here that I can't stand to be out of the house. I live in the St. Louis metro area and we are in the midst of a major heat wave. We have had temps in the high 90's & low 100's for the last few weeks and there is no relief in sight. We have had heat indexes above 105 most days.

Some of you might be thinking that the 90's are not that hot. Our summers are full of heat and major HUMIDITY. We are in desperate need of several days of rain. Last summer we were wanting the storms to stop and this year we are wishing they would come. Last summer we had several severe thunderstorms that hit our area that knocked power out to TONS of people. In one storm we lost ours for over 5 days.

This summer makes me remember a T-shirt that my brother had when we were kids. It had an illustration of the St. Louis Gateway Arch melting. There was a saying like "I survived the summer of 1983 (I think that was the year.) in St. Louis." I'm beginning to think that they need to produce them again changing the year to 2007.

I had originally thought that we were going to have a flood this year. In the spring it looked as if the area rivers were going to continue to rise and spill their banks. In our area we can expect the worst to occur each summer. It is either tons of damaging thunderstorms, floods, or major heat & drought. There are times that I wonder why I stay in the area. But then I remember that this is where my family is and I wouldn't want to be too far from them.

No comments: