Tuesday, July 10, 2007

One Hell of a Start to My Week

My day started out with a phone call at 7:20. It was Kay letting me know that she was about 200 miles away and was heading back to my way. She had gotten a call Sunday night that her mom had taken a turn for the worse. She was wanting to come back and spend some time with her mom and help her dad with some things. She wanted to stay here for a few nights as well as spending some at her parents' house.

She arrived at around 12:10 in the afternoon. I had to pick Jay up at 2 from day camp. After I got back she left the boys with me so that she could go see her mom. She arrived back at around 7:30. We got the kids ready for bed and cleaned up the dinner mess. B went to bed at 10 something and Kay and I stayed up talking. We finally went to bed around 4 or 4:30. Two of Kay's boys woke up shortly thereafter, but she was able to get them back to sleep for a bit. I was up for the day at about 7:30. Needless to say, I was dragging all day long today. I really should have gone to bed already, but I wanted to check emails and do some blog writing.

Over all the boys have been pretty well behaved. They tried testing me to see what they were able to get away with. I laid down the law right away and they decided that they had better follow the rules.

Now on to Kay's mom. On Sat. she was alert and recognized her husband, but not her kids. By Sunday she was did not recognize anyone and became unresponsive. She also was not eating or drinking anything. The family has been told that with her not taking in nourishment she will be gone in 2 to 14 days. I believe that today is day 3. It seems a cruel way for someone to die. She is essentially starving to death, but these were her wishes. She had stated that if she got to the point that she had no chance of recovery, she did not want any artificial means of support, including a feeding tube. But if that is her wish, I can respect her wishes.

No comments: